Saturday 14 April 2018

How Reading Newspaper can help you improve you academic Writing and Speaking



Reading newspaper is very significant to gain knowledge, learn new words and open up your mind to new possibilities. I have been reading newspaper for many years. it has immensely benefited me. I would here talk how we can enhance our speaking and writing skills through reading newspapers. I have come to learn that people who possess high linguistic skills edit newspapers; their job is to put every sentence and term grammatically and systematically. If you try to examine every sentence of newspaper, it will help you understand the structure of language.

Newspapers can be read for various purposes. If you are an IELTS students, Reading newspaper can help you to a great extent in terms of improving your speaking and writing.

Read to write

 Ask this question to yourself how can you read newspaper to enhance your academic writing skill? Couple of days before while reading newspaper, a news about pollution caught my attention. There I spotted some very useful sentences, collocations and words.

Here are some examples:-
1.       Pose serious threats to our health
2.       Safeguard the environment
3.       According to the report
4.       It is clearly a state of distress
5.       It is clearly a state of public health emergency
6.       There are ways, can help minimizing the risk of pollutants in the air.
7.       In response to the burgeoning problem of air pollution.
8.       Shared rides
9.       Massive
10.   Subside
11.   It is as much a responsibility of the citizens as of the authority to protect the environment.

I have spotted these very usefully sentences and words to use in my writing if I have got to write about environmental issues.
Newspaper covers a wide range of topics where you find ready to use sentences. When it comes to collocations and words I must say that editors use very high frequency collocations and words, they put them in the context wonderfully and meaniningfully. You can find the topics of your choice and grow your knowledge about it.

Read to speak

Lately I read an article on the anger management. It says when it gets out of control and turns destructive it can lead to problem. In this article there were many ideas to ponder over. Many useful ready to use sentences are given there on various topics. Students can collect ideas and useful collocations that can help him in speaking effectively. Many students lack ideas and newspaper is a great source to hunt ideas to use when needed. It may also help your gain new information about latest gadgets, discoveries etc.
Here are some sentences that you can use
1.       It is instrumental in keeping one fit and avoid cancer.
2.       The technology has been making a huge impact on the ways of imparting education in modern day schools.
3.       Gone are the days when a teacher used to either read a book or write on the board.

Read out loud

Select a short article from the newspaper now you have to speak it aloud thrice. Read first time in slow speed, increase speed 2nd time and when you read it 3rd time raise your voice a loud. This practice will help you twist your tongue and open up your throat. After couple of weeks you will realize that you have improved your fluency. Let your mind listen every word you read. This will store ideas and information in your mind and improve the way you speak English.

I would like to share my experience here, after finishing my spoken English course I could communicate well but many times I would feel that I don’t have ideas, vocabulary and the way that is requited nowadays. I started spoken English classes again it did not help much. One of my friends English Lecturer told me to read newspaper and magazine every day.  It paid heed to his suggestion and I made up my mind to do that. Earlier it was very challenging to understand the language used in the magazine and newspaper. After couple of months I realized that my English has improved, I have more words and ideas to speak on any topic. It gave me a lot of confidence and I started teaching English.

Friends, I strongly advise you that you must read newspaper at least 1 hour every day. Write down every sentence and word that you fine useful, put it in practice. This would really help you.





No comments:

Post a Comment